Trying To Get To You

Monday, September 22, 2008

Earl Palmer

The sound of Earl Palmer playing the drums was one of power, groove and swing. The legendary New Orleans drummer who propelled early rock n' roll hits by Fats Domino and then Little Richard, died on Friday at the age of 84. Moving to Los Angeles in the late 50's to escape the racism of the Jim Crow south, Palmer played with artists as varied as Count Basie, Frank Sinatra, Neil Young, the Righteous Brothers, Barbra Streisand, the Beach Boys, Sarah Vaughan, Elvis Costello, Ike and Tina Turner and many more.

Remember that great fill that opens the Flintstones theme song? That's Earl Palmer.

Obituary from the New Orleans Times Picayune

1 comment:

will Kimbrough said...

No comments? I know I'm 3 years late, but damn, I commented a lot about Earl Palmer around the time of his death. I hope folks around the world will someday understand the importance of Earl Palmer's drumming! All I can say is my life has been made MUCH better by Mr Palmer's drumming. Much, much better...Lord have mercy!