Trying To Get To You

Monday, January 07, 2008

Strange Dreams: Me And The Beatles

I've been sick with a pretty bad cold the past few days. It's not fun, but the silver lining is that when I'm sick, I have very strange dreams which I almost always remember. (When I'm well, I almost never remember my dreams.)

Anyway, last night I dreamed I was in the Beatles. I was the piano player, which is kind of weird, because I don't even play piano. The setting was 1961. I was in the audience at the Cavern Club (the band was still in the black leather period) and after one of their sets, I went up to John Lennon and told him that they needed a piano player who could "play like Jerry Lee Lewis," and that I was the guy for the gig. I forget exactly what he said, but the next thing I know, I'm playing "High School Confidential" with the Beatles. (In the dream, Ringo was already drumming for them, even though he didn't join until August, 1962. But hey - who cares? It's a dream.) Anyway, John loved it, George and Ringo were pretty psyched as well, and Paul was pretty cool to the whole idea. But I got in. As dreams go, it was a pretty excellent one.

That's all I remember. Maybe tonight I'll dream that auditioned to be the drummer in the E Street Band in 1974 and that I beat Max Weinberg for the gig.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that long ago, I dreamt I was a backing singer for Mari Wilson and the Wilsations - they may not have made much impact on your side of the Atlantic but they had a few hits over here in the UK in the early 80s. I remember it was a fun gig, but I was terrified of my solo 'cos I knew I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket!

Anonymous said...

Be thankful it was the Beatles. You could just as easily have been in an Orlando dance studio auditioning for the Backstreet Boys! Or a roadie for Third Eye Blind.

Anonymous said...

I used to have a recurring dream that The Edge was chasing me, wearing his Joshua Tree era hat and swinging a Stratocaster like a baseball bat. The dream was always in this grainy black and white, running through alleys and dark corridors, like we were in an Anton Corbjin video. I've graduated, though: now I dream Mary Chapin-Carpenter is chasing me...wearing The Edge's hat!

Java John said...

my dad, 70, recently told me that he was at a beach boys concert in a club, and got called up from the crowd to sing along.
then he woke up!

funny thing is, he can't sign...and does not like the beach boys!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Article - Sohbet | mirc | Kelebek | camfrog | mirc | sohbet | şehir fırsatı