Trying To Get To You

Monday, June 11, 2007

Regular Ol' Crackers

I can’t help but think of this clip when I listen to the new White Stripes album. (Actually, I can’t help but think of this clip when I listen to pretty much ANY White Stripes album.) In a climate starved for truly grand and great rock n’ roll, the White Stripes’ “regular ol’ crackers” have been somehow confused with greatness. I don’t think they come close. Icky Thump is another pretty good record chock full of somewhat forgettable songs, undistinguished riffs and monotonous drumming. Jack White may have a great rock n’ roll voice, but it’s one-dimensional; it conveys nothing but it’s own sound, and lacks the tenderness, depth and presence to be truly moving. It ain't got no soul. I’m sure the album will be hailed as a magnificent return to form - but to me, this is just another signifier that we’re starving for the real thing – and that we’ll take an imitation to ward off the starvation.

And that means more saltines, no Ritzs.

3 comments:

Go Nicole Yourself said...

another thing we have in common. me no likey the White Stripes. feh.

Anonymous said...

They're not bad - they're just not great.

The Eddie Murphy thing was funny...what happened to him?

Anonymous said...

Hey, love your blog! If you take requests, how about something from Willy DeVille - a cat overflowing with SOUL?