Trying To Get To You

Monday, May 28, 2007

Keep A Light On In The Window

Memorial Day is one of those holidays whose original meaning has been somewhat washed out for many Americans. While I’ve always known it really meant – a day of remembrance of those who have sacrificed their lives in defense of this country, most often what it really meant for me was “the beginning of summer,” “the (near) end of school for the year,” etc. It’s a shame – for in the trivialization of the day, we lose our sense of what’s at stake in our country – and we then place ourselves at risk to the policies of men like George W. Bush.

Today, in honor of all the men and women who have given their lives to this country, and to the men and women currently serving, I am posting my favorite war song. It’s Solomon Burke’s version of a song written during World War II, “Keep A Light On In The Window.” Solomon’s version was recorded in 1964, and it’s simply one of the most beautiful and well-arranged songs I’ve ever heard. The martial drum opening, the way the horns build in the second verse and the way Solomon’s vocals bring the song to a climax in the final chorus – I know of few songs that I would deem “perfect,” and this is one of them.

Download: "Keep A Light On In The Window"
Buy Solomon Burke At Amazon

No comments: