Trying To Get To You

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Brooklyn Soul Sister

Here is a link to last week's Village Voice article on Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, a Brooklyn based soul outfit who are starting to get real attention. It's a worthy read in that I believe it signifies soul's continuing comeback in the public consciousness as well as the utter boredom that many people are finally finding in and verbalizing about "dull-ass, sweet-dude, indie guitar rock."

I've seen Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings live, and while it's been an enjoyable experience, for me, something has been missing. I've found the songs somewhat unsatisfying; they occur for me as approximations of a soul sound rather than soulful in and of themselves. But I am hopeful that they will improve over time, and that the songs will dig a little deeper emotionally on the next release.

The Dap-Kings are backing Amy Winehouse on the road, so this has to be a very exciting time for them. If Sharon Jones and her band are not quite the thing that will break down the door for this kind of music in the 21st century, they're knocking really hard on the door. I won't do anything but applaud that.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings on MySpace

1 comment:

Michelle Hedegard said...

In case you didn't catch this:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16690407

(The audio interview is great)