Trying To Get To You

Friday, August 04, 2006

Lovers & Dreamers & Alice Smith


New York based R&B singer-songwriter Alice Smith is getting a lot of attention from writers and industry folks who've been taken with her new release, "For Lovers, Dreamers & Me." Somewhat reminiscent of Sarah Vaughn, she is in possession of one of those voices that grabs your attention immediately upon hearing it. Whether she maintains it or not is another matter.

I saw Alice perform in a conference room when I was working at Island Def Jam in the spring, and if I wasn't blown away, I was very impressed and I certainly thought that this is a woman of real talent. She has the vibe of a woman who's been burned by the world a time or two, and if she keeps her emotions close to the vest in everyday life, she lets it all out when she sings.

I'd love to say that I'm in love with the record, but I can't. There are some unmistakable high points, like "New Religion," but the songs as a whole are less than overwhelming, and songs like the opening cut, "Dream," which could be incredible, are weighted down by repetitive arrangement choices that blunt the overall impact of the song.

Still, keep your eyes and ears out for Miss Smith; if she works with the right collaborators and increases her willingness to take artistic risks, her present will be as bright as her future seems.

Stream the record and listen for yourself.

No comments: